The new college building has paved the way for the college to be recognised as a hub for community learning and activities. Since its build in 2013, the college has made a significant and distinctive contribution to the local community, initiating a range of partnerships to drive forward skills development and community regeneration and open up the college for community use.
The following page provides an overview of the community activities and usage of the building over the last three years together with some case studies on the community partnerships that the college has developed.
Community use of the building during 2013-2020
A number of college facilities and rooms are used on a daily and weekly basis for community groups and activities. The following list provides an overview of the activities for each of the areas of the college.
Hair and Beauty Salons
- Used on a daily basis by members of the local community
- Swansea City/Merthyr Tydfil Football Club Academy football training sessions every Monday and Wednesday evening;
- Merthyr Tydfil Netball training sessions every Tuesday evening;
- Merthyr Tydfil Football Club girls football training sessions every Thursday evening;
- Weekly sports sessions for local primary school children on a Wednesday and Friday afternoon
Ad hoc events
- Registration and pre-activities for the Merthyr Tydfil Half Marathon from 2016;
- Merthyr Tydfil Secondary School Council Conferences 2013, 2014,2015,2016.2017.2018 and 2019.
- Charity climbing event with local organisations in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support in February 2015;
- Charity climbing event with Tesco and local primary schools in aid of Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation in February 2016.
- Cricket training session in partnership with Sports Wales;
- Merthyr Tydfil Half Marathon registration and pre-events on 6th March 2016;
- Live BBC Children in Need Show in November 2013;
- Acting as a hub for the display of National Library and Archive materials for students and communities across the Merthyr Tydfil and Heads of the Valleys region throughout 2013-2015;
- Charity Fashion show in partnership with Tesco and local primary schools, February 2014 in aid of Diabetes UK and the British Heart Foundation;
- Afon Taf Project Aspire Week and Graduation Ceremony, 2015;
- Afon Taf High School Christmas Concert and Prize Giving Evening 2015;
- Question Time Event with Gerald Jones MP for all learners across Merthyr Tydfil
- Local council’s opening ceremony for the new Merthyr Tydfil Gyratory road;
- Merthyr Tydfil Business Club – meetings and events
- Range of key note speakers and guest lectures for community groups and to support key health and fitness campaigns such as ‘Merthyr Girls Can’;
- Careers Fair in partnership with Job Centre Plus, January 2016
Dedicated meeting room in the Learning Zone
- Monthly meetings for the Merthyr Tydfil Youth Forum
- Local MP and AM surgeries
- Regular meetings of Merthyr Tydfil Bee Society in our library meeting room;
General Office Space
- Welsh Rugby Union Tag Officer based at the college with responsibility for promoting participation in rugby across Merthyr Tydfil;
- Regular Healthcare Academy sessions in partnership with Cwm Taf Health Board.
- Weekly strength and conditioning sessions in our gym for members of the under 16s Merthyr Tydfil Girls and Boys Football teams;
In addition, the college works closely with local organisations to provide them with the opportunity to come into the college atrium on a regular basis to promote their services to staff and students e.g. the local Merthyr Tydfil Leisure Centre.
For example case studies, please click here.